You should talk to a nurse or doctor if:
- You think you may be expecting
- Your period that is next is than 7 days later
- Your duration is faster or lighter than typical
- You’ve got any unexpected or pain that is unusual your reduced stomach (this might be an indication of a ectopic maternity, where a fertilised egg implants outs
The crisis contraceptive capsule may connect to other medications. Included in these are:
- The medicine that is herbal John’s Wort
- Some medications utilized to deal with epilepsy
- Some medications utilized to deal with HIV
- Some medications utilized to treat tuberculosis (TB)
- Medicine such as for example omeprazole (an antacid) to create your belly less acid
EllaOne can not be utilized as it may not be effective if you are already taking one of these medicines.
Levonelle may remain utilized, nevertheless the dosage may prefer to be increased – your physician or pharmacist can advise with this.
There must be no discussion amongst the crisis pill & most antibiotics. Two enzyme-inducing antibiotics (called rifampicin and rifabutin), utilized to deal with or avoid meningitis or TB, may affect ellaOne while they’re being taken as well as for 28 times a short while later.
Should you want to make sure that your medications are safe to just just take with all the crisis contraceptive pill, ask your GP or perhaps a pharmacist. Its also wise to see the client information leaflet that is included with your medications.
Can the emergency is got by me contraceptive tablet ahead of time?
You might be capable of getting the crisis contraceptive tablet prior to having sex that is unprotected:
- You may be focused on your contraceptive technique failing
- You may be happening vacation
- You simply cannot get your hands on crisis contraception easily
Pose a question to your GP or nursing assistant for more info on getting advance crisis contraception.
The IUD as crisis contraception
The device that is intrauterineIUD) is a little, T-shaped contraceptive unit created from synthetic and copper. It’s inserted in to the womb by an experienced wellness professional. It may avoid an egg from implanting in your womb or becoming fertilised.
You could have ovulated, to prevent pregnancy if you’ve had unprotected sex, the IUD can be inserted up to five days afterwards, or up to five days after the earliest time. It’s more efficient at preventing maternity as compared to crisis supplement, also it will not communicate with just about any medicine.
You can elect to have the IUD left in as a method that is ongoing of.
Just exactly How effective may be the IUD at preventing maternity?
There are many forms of IUD. Newer ones have significantly more copper consequently they are significantly more than 99% effective. Less than two ladies in 100 whom utilize a more recent IUD over 5 years are certain to get pregnant. IUDs with less copper inside them are less efficient than this, but they are nevertheless effective. The IUD works better as compared to crisis tablet at preventing maternity after non-safe sex.
Who is able to utilize the IUD?
Nearly all women may use an IUD, including ladies who have not been expecting and people who will be HIV good. Your GP or clinician will inquire about your medical background to check on if an IUD would work for your needs.
You must not make use of an IUD when you have:
- An untreated STI or an infection that is pelvic
- Certain abnormalities of the cervix or womb
- Any bleeding that is unexplained your vagina – for example, between durations or after intercourse
Ladies who have heart condition should consult their GP or cardiologist before having an IUD installed.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
The IUD really should not be placed when there is a danger you might currently be pregnant. The IUD can be applied safely if you’re breastfeeding, however the chance of problems during insertion is somewhat greater.
Which are the unwanted effects regarding the IUD
Problems after having an IUD fitted are uncommon, but could consist of discomfort, illness, harm to the womb or expulsion (the IUD coming from the womb). It may make your periods longer, heavier or more painful if you use the IUD as an ongoing method of regular contraception.
The IUD as well as other medications
The emergency IUD will perhaps perhaps perhaps not respond with virtually any medicine.
Where may I get crisis contraception?
You will get the crisis contraceptive tablet and also the IUD for clear of:
- A GP surgery providing you with contraception (some GP surgeries might not offer the IUD)
- A contraception center
- A health clinic that is sexual
- Some genitourinary medication (GUM) clinics
- Some young adults’s clinics (phone our sexual helpline on 0800 22 44 88)
It is possible to have the emergency contraceptive supplement free of:
- Many pharmacies
- Some small accidents devices
- Some Accident & Emergency divisions
A doctor or nursing assistant the thing is that may ask for the after information:
- When you yourself have had non-safe sex in your present cycle that is menstrual
- The date associated with very first time of the final duration as well as the typical period of your period
- Information on any contraceptive failure (such as for example what number of pills you have missed, so when)
- If you have used any medicines which could impact your contraception
If you are aged 13 or higher, you could get contraception through the almost all community pharmacies in Scotland, often totally free. You can buy the emergency contraceptive pill from most pharmacies if you are not eligible for NHS Scotland services. The fee differs, nonetheless it will be around ?30 to ?35.
Contraception for future years
If you should be staying away from a regular way of contraception, you could give consideration to performing this so that you can reduce the possibility of unintended maternity. Long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) supplies the best security against maternity, and also you need not think you have sex about it every day or each time.
LARC methods are the:
Where can it is got by me?
This will depend what sort of crisis contraception you utilize. There are 2 techniques:
- The crisis contraceptive product (morning after pill) – there are two main kinds, Levonelle or ellaOne
- The device that is intrauterineIUD, or coil)
Crisis contraception prevents maternity if:
- You have not utilized contraception
- Your method that is usual of has failed
Crisis contraception shouldn’t be utilized rather than your method that is usual of.
The earlier you employ crisis contraception after having non-safe sex, the greater effective it really is. For lots more information, observe how effective is emergency contraception?
The crisis contraceptive supplement
Levonelle can be acquired cost-free without having a prescription. You may get it from many pharmacies and also from your own GP or health clinic that is sexual. Make use of our nationwide provider Directory to locate nearest pharmacy, GP surgery or intimate wellness center.
Levonelle and ellaOne are both available cost-free. You may get them from most community pharmacies as well as from your GP or health clinic that is sexual.
Levonelle may be taken within 72 hours (3 days) of getting unsafe sex, but it is most reliable if taken within 12 hours of getting sex that is unprotected.
You are taking one Levonelle tablet. It really works by stopping or ovulation that is delayingwhenever your ovaries launch an egg).
EllaOne could be taken within 120 hours (five times) of getting unsafe sex, but it is most reliable if taken as quickly as possible after having non-safe sex.
You take one ellaOne tablet. It prevents or delays ovulation and helps it be more challenging for a fertilised egg to implant to your womb.
The IUD (intrauterine device) is present from:
- Contraception clinics
- Brook centers
- Many intimate wellness clinics (GUM clinics)
- Most GP surgeries
The IUD is put as part of your womb. It damages both the semen plus the egg, and prevents a fertilised egg implanting in your womb.
It should be fitted by a medical practioner within five times of having non-safe sex, or, whether or not it’s feasible to calculate once you ovulate, as much as five times when you ovulate. The IUD is considered the most effective form of crisis contraception.
It is possible to maintain the IUD in as the regular way of contraception, or a medical practioner can eliminate it throughout your next duration.
Crisis contraception might never be suited to everybody. Discover more about crisis contraception.
If you are unwell
If you should be sick (vomit) within three hours of using Levonelle or ellaOne, get hold of your GP. You may have to take another tablet.
Exactly exactly exactly How effective can it be?
It depends which kind of crisis contraception you utilize and exactly how quickly you employ it.
There are two main ways of the original source crisis contraception:
- The crisis contraceptive pill – or morning-after tablet – referred to as Levonelle or ellaOne
- The copper IUD (intrauterine unit, or coil)
Emergency contraception prevents maternity for those who haven’t utilized contraception or think your method that is usual of has failed.